You may need a root canal if your tooth’s pulp or root is infected. This may seem like a daunting procedure because of all the rumors circulating for years about how painful and useless they are when in fact research from modern technology has disproven these myths. Root canals just so happen to be not painful with a local anesthetic and the proper aftercare. The preservation of the natural tooth is a much better approach instead of having a full tooth replacement which costs more and is a much larger process.
Dr. Payam Bostani and our dental professionals here in Burbank, California, work hard to provide a calm and comfortable experience to give you a full restoration while all at the same time preserving your smile. In order to rid your tooth’s roots and pulp of an infection, your dentist will follow these simple instructions:
– An anesthetic is administered and then a rubber dental dam will be placed to protect the tooth from debris/water. In almost any dental procedure, your teeth need to be completely dry.
– An opening will be made on the crown for molars/pre-molars or behind the tooth for front teeth with small tools made specifically for this procedure.
– Infected pulp and roots will be cleared out of the entire tooth chamber, cleaned out with water, dried, and then an antimicrobial solution will kill any remaining bacteria.
– Gutta-percha (a rubbery, tapered material) is then placed in the empty chamber and sealed with special dental cement. A plastic or metal rod will be placed inside as well for support if it is needed.
– To protect your tooth from any further exposure or infection, a crown is then placed over the opening. This is made at a lab (your dentist will take an impression of your teeth), sent back to our office, and then applied by your dentist.
To get root canal therapy, call Dr. Bostani's Advanced Dental at 818-973-7100 to set up an appointment or consultation. Our dental office in Burbank, California, will be happy to give you the care and treatment you need for a better smile today, so call Dr. Payam Bostani and our associates today!