A dentist shares the importance of dental hygiene
Good dental hygiene is an essential part of oral health for individuals of all ages. While many adults believe that they are covered by brushing and flossing every day, it’s a good idea to evaluate your home dental care routine to ensure that you are practicing good technique. At Dr. Bostani’s Advanced Dental in Burbank, California, we are committed to your oral health, which is why we take the time to help you get back to basics with these essential tips for maintaining healthy teeth and gums.
Believe it or not, there are incorrect ways to brush your teeth. Understanding the right way will help you carefully clean all the surfaces of the teeth to remove food debris and prevent bacteria build-up. We recommend the following:
- Brush your teeth at least twice each day, although ideally after every meal
- Choose a soft-bristled toothbrush that will not be abrasive to your enamel
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle and use short back and forth circles
- Make sure to get both the outside and inside surfaces of the teeth as well as the chewing surface
- Use your toothbrush to clean bacteria off your tongue
- Avoid eating for 30 minutes after brushing
Flossing is the next step in dental hygiene that focuses on removing food debris that becomes trapped between teeth. Flossing should be done once a day and is a crucial component of oral health. We recommend the following:
- Cut off a piece of floss about 18 inches long and wrap it around the middle fingers of both hands, leaving an inch or two available for use.
- Using your fingers to correctly position the floss, gently guide it in a back and forth motion into the space between your teeth and slide it up and down. Be careful not to force it as it can injure the gum tissue.
- To remove the floss, use the same back and forth motion.
- Before going to the next tooth, unwind about an inch of new floss from one finger, and wind used floss on the other finger.
- Repeat the process for the space between all teeth, including the molars.
Other Dental Hygiene Tips
In addition to regular brushing and flossing, incorporating fluoride products such as toothpaste and mouth rinses can also help prevent tooth decay. Individuals should also avoid smoking and tobacco products, as they can increase the risk of tooth discoloration, gum disease, and oral cancer.
Visit Your Dentist Regularly
Preventative dentistry is one of the best ways to prevent common dental problems. Scheduling your dental exams every six months will go a long way in keeping your teeth and gums healthy.
If you are in the Burbank, CA, area and would like to schedule an appointment, please reach out to us at (818) 918-5533.