Gum disease is an infection that affects the gums and structures that surround and support the teeth. In the early stages, gum disease manifests with gums that bleed easily, especially when you brush and floss. This infection is caused by the bacteria from plaque, but there are certain factors that can increase your risk for gum disease, including:
– Stress – Stress weakens the immune system, making it tougher for your body to fight off infection, including gum disease.
– Certain medications – Some types of medication can cause dry mouth. With the lack of saliva, plaque is more likely to form.
– Fluctuating Hormones – When hormones change in the body, changes are more likely in the mouth. As a result, puberty, pregnancy, and menopause can increase the risk for gum disease.
– Diseases – Some diseases put one at a higher risk of gum disease. For instance, people with diabetes are more likely to develop gum disease than people that don’t have diabetes. Other diseases that increase risk include rheumatoid arthritis and HIV.
– Poor nutrition – Good nutrition is imperative for good overall and oral health, including healthy gums. If you have a severe vitamin C deficiency, bleeding gums can be the result.
For more information and to schedule your next visit with our dentist in Burbank, California, we invite you to contact Dr. Bostani’s Advanced Dental at 818-973-7100 today. Dr. Payam Bostani and our team are proud to provide treatment for gum disease for those in need.